Putting together your baby registry for your first shower has to be one of the most exciting and overwhelming things you’ll do as you prepare for your little one's arrival. Especially as a first-time mom, you’ll have things you need that you didn’t even know existed or things you find out later about that you wished you had or wished you didn’t have (ahem… Cheap color plastic toys and randomness all over the house).
Perhaps the greatest lesson I learned after my first child was that I hated having so much "stuff". Don’t get me wrong, I was/am extremely fortunate to have so many friends and family willing to purchase and send gifts. However, I went a little crazy adding everything I could "possibly" need and anything cute I came across in the meantime. This resulted in so much stuff. I realized as my son, Beau, grew that so much of it was unnecessary. I ended up using the highest quality pieces and my favorite items on repeat while the rest collected dust.
In preparation for my daughter, Daisy, I purged and decluttered as much as possible and created my baby registry this time around with much more intention. My list this time around is much more minimal, modern, and beautiful. It’s filled with quality and functional pieces that I can continue to use with future children. I realized that if I look, I can often find essential baby items that are aesthetic enough that I actually sort of like them cluttering my home.
As I’m writing this, Daisy is now two weeks old and I have almost everything on this list the few items I don’t personally own, I am either working on purchasing or have come strongly recommended by my mama friends.
1. Heirloom Baby Book – Love the images and quality of this book! I ended up purchasing and trying out The Short Years book/app because I have such a hard time remembering to write in a traditional book, but I was this close to purchasing this beauty.
2. Muslin Burp Cloths – These are such a simple and affordable option and are currently the only burp clothes we own. I love how basic the colors are and they are so soft!
3. BabyShusher – This might be my #1 pick, or at least in the top three. It’s not especially beautiful but man is it a game-changer. My husband and I both thought it was kind of silly at first but it literally gets used daily… And nightly. You don’t realize how much time you spend actually “shushing” your baby – it’s a lot! This product is not only extremely soothing to your babe but also saves you lots of breath haha!
4. Paci Clip – These are some of my favorites! There are so many colors to choose from and they are such great quality. The perfect accessory for any little person’s outfit.
5. Bibs Pacifier – We have a few of these as well! So many colors and super affordable! Daisy so far loves these.
6. Sophie la Girafe – Recommended over and over again by so many moms I can’t even count. Everyone says how much their kid loves Sophie. TBH I got one for Beau and he never cared a whole lot for it, however, he never cared for any teethers or ever took pacifiers for that matter. I saved it for Daisy though and am excited to see what she thinks… She already takes pacifiers way better than Beau so it’ll be interesting. Each kid is so different.
7. BabyBjorn Bouncer – We have this bouncer in the jersey grey and I love how cozy it is. I feel like it holds my babies in a warm little hammock/cocoon. It also collapses pretty tightly for traveling or storage.
8. Gathre Midi Mat – I actually just ordered two of these for Christmas this year and can’t wait to get them in. I’ve had my eye on Gathre mats for a while now and heard such a great thing. They are vegan leather on top and suede on the bottom side which makes them super easy to clean and perfect for playing, eating, beachin’, you name it! We have hardwood floors so I’m excited to use these for play areas in the house.
9. Hatch Baby Rest Sound Machine, Night Light, Time to Rise – We have one of these for each kid's bedroom. You can control the light and sound and any schedule you choose from the app on your phone. For my son, we have it set to turn green at 7 am which means it’s ok for him to get out of bed in the morning… It’s been working surprisingly well!
10. JellyCat Stuffed Animals – I have never wanted to accumulate a bunch of stuffed animals (which may change if Daisy has an obsession haha) but so far we’ve only got a few and they are all JellyCat brand. They are the cutest and so so soft!
11. SNOO Smart Sleeper Bassinet – Just start reading some reviews and you’ll be sold on this, especially if you’ve ever experienced late nights with a newborn that just won’t sleep. To be honest I’ve never personally tried this one but am dying to and have heard nothing but amazing things and how well it helps your baby sleep.
12. Kyte Baby Sleep Sacks – These are the best and softest sleep sacks. I used these with Beau and just got some for baby girl as well. I love how they are rated for sleep temperatures so you know exactly how warm your baby is. We keep the house much cooler at night so I have a nap sack and a nighttime snack. These are also great because you don’t have to worry about blankets coming off in the middle of the night.
Bath/Diapering13. Freshly Picked Diaper Bag – I have this bag and love it! You can fit a surprisingly large amount of things inside, plenty of pockets, and it’s super stylish!
14. Honest Co. Diapers, Wipes, and Bath – After trying all the major diaper brands with my first, I fell in love with Honest Co. products. They perform better in my opinion and feel so much more comfortable for my babies to wear. I never knew there was so much variation in diapers and wipes until I tried these! I’ve been happy with every product we’ve tried so far. You go through diapers and wipes like crazy – so make sure to ask for lots on your baby registry!
15. Blooming Bath Lotus – Had this on my baby registry for Daisy and we’ve already used it quite a few times in her 2 weeks of life. It’s super convenient and seems to be so comfy for her. Makes sink baths with an infant much nicer.
Travel16. UPPAbaby VISTA V2 Stroller – I always recommend this stroller and love how it comes with a bassinet. Just go to Nordstrom if you want to test drive one and you’ll feel the quality and the difference compared to other strollers. It’s a little on the pricey side, so it’s a great item to include on your baby registry!
17. UPPAbaby MESA Infant Car Seat – Used this with both of my babies. It’s top-rated, seems to keep them comfortable, and attaches perfectly to the UPPAbaby Vista stroller above.
18. Wildbird Linen Ring Sling – After trying multiple baby carriers, the Wildbird sling has to be my favorite. Not only is it more beautiful than all the others I’ve seen, but it's also super easy to use and I love how snug it keeps my babies.
Feeding19. HEVA 2in1 Glass Bottle – Don’t worry, glass baby bottles are made with a special glass that is much harder to break ;). I had the same initial thought, but I kept seeing people use them and I loved how much easier they are to keep clean than yucky plastic!
20. Mushie Dinnerware – Plates, bowls, cups, flatware – it’s all so cute and so easy for toddlers to use!
21. Lalo High Chair – Not only is this high chair so sleek and modern, but it converts into a little chair as your babe grows.
22. Haaka Silicone Breast Pump – Ok, if you plan to breastfeed, this is the number one item on my baby registry list for you! Not kidding – all you have to do is put it on the opposite breast while you nurse and you collect so much milk. I’ll fill the whole thing up in one or two feedings and it helps me from becoming engorged while collecting milk that would have just dripped out wasted.
23. Elvie Breast Pump – This is a major convenience buy if you plan to pump a lot. These guys fit inside your bra and pump while you walk around doing whatever it is you need to do! No more being a slave to the pump.
For Mom24. Barefoot Dreams CozyChic™ Ribbed Robe – You need a cozy robe… You’ll thank me later.
25. Lively Maternity/Nursing Bralette – I love these nursing bras! I’ve mentioned before that with my first, I didn’t want to invest in a bra I’d only use “temporarily”. I ended up nursing for 14 months and wish so bad I had a decent bra! This time around I'm set and love how beautiful and comfy these babies are! (So many pretty colors to choose from too!)